Emery Park Wander: Beginner’s Course and Training
September 30 @ 11:00 am$15 - $20
This is a two mile walk in the woods using a map and compass to find 6 controls along the way. Learn map and compass reading. This event is especially offered for Earth Science students at St. Gregory the Great School in Williamsville. However, it is open to all. Map scale is 1:10,000 and in 5 colors. Training 10:00 am-10:45 am. Starting time for the Beginner’s Course is 11a m. Headquarters at shelter #12.
ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
$15 fee for online registration by September 27th includes 5-color park map, compass rental, training and event entry. Registration after September 27th or on day of event is available at the cost of $20. Questions? Email the Registrar: Greg Hyatt, or call him at (716) 480-1713. Meet Director is Rob Reeves. Here’s a link to Google Maps. Online Registration is now open here. See who is participating here. Read the instructions here.
- Information about a specific meet or directions can be obtained by contacting the meet director by phone or email.
For most meets, registration and beginner instruction begins at 10:00am with starts from 11:00am to Noon, unless noted otherwise below.
- All participants are required to sign a release waiver.
Participants under the age of 18 are required to have a waiver signature by a parent. If your parent is not coming to the meet, download the waiver form, sign and bring to the meet.
- For safety reasons, all participants are required to carry whistles. A limited number are available for rental at meets.
Follow the orienteering signs at the park entrance to the meet location.
- Entry fees for all BFLO meets are $5 for current BFLO / ROC members and $10 for non-members, except as noted for special meets.
- Groups are very welcome and are charged the above fees for team leader, plus $5 for each additional individual age 11 and older. All members receive their own map if they desire one.
- Entry fees at all events are at the members’ rates for adult-supervised groups of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
Events are held rain or shine.