- This event has passed.
Course Design Workshop
April 6 @ 5:30 am - 8:30 am
This workshop is for anyone interested in learning how to design an orienteering course and/or use the Purple Pen software. See all the details below and be sure to register if you are interested. The workshop is open to club members. Information on joining the club can be found here.
10:00 – 11:15 Part One: Principles of Course Design
11:15 – 11:30 Break
11:30 – 12:45 Part Two: Using Purple Pen to Layout Courses on the Map
Participants may sign up for Part One or Part Two or both. For Part Two, they will need a laptop with Purple Pen loaded. Instructions will be provided for this.
Workshop limited to 12 participants. Register by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration deadline is Wednesday April 3 at 9 PM. For questions call 716-322-8049.
Part One: Principles of Course Design. We will examine the color coded courses adopted by OUSA and discuss the requirements and characteristics of each. We will look at courses from actual events and analyze how well they meet the criteria. Finally, we will practice drawing our own courses on club maps.
Part Two: Using Purple Pen. This software is widely used for designing courses and placing the course symbols on maps in preparation for printing. We will practice setting courses in order to get familiar with the capabilities of the software. Participants must bring their own laptops with Purple Pen already loaded. Upon registration, instructions will be sent on how to do this. The club has two laptops which may be borrowed. If you wish to borrow one of these laptops, indicate this when registering.
- Information about a specific meet or directions can be obtained by contacting the meet director by phone or email.
- All participants are required to sign a release waiver.
Participants under the age of 18 are required to have a waiver signature by a parent. If your parent is not coming to the meet, download the waiver form, sign and bring to the meet.
- Follow the orienteering signs at the park entrance to the meet location.
- Entry fees for all BFLO meets are $5 for current BFLO members or members of any orienteering club. The fee is $10 for non-members, except as noted for special meets.
- Groups are very welcome and are charged the above fees for team leader, plus $5 for each additional individual age 11 and older. All members receive their own map if they desire one.
- Compass rental fee is $2.
- Entry fees at all events are at the members’ rates for adult-supervised groups of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
Events are held rain or shine.