- This event has passed.
Orienteering Meet: Sprague Brook Park
June 24, 2017 @ 10:30 am - 3:00 pm$5 - $10
A regular Orienteering event featuring White (Beginner), Yellow (Advanced Beginner), Green (Advanced) and Red (Accomplished) courses. Register 10:30 am-11:4 5am. Starting times for all the Orienteering courses are 11:00 am-Noon.
Questions? Email the Meet Director: Rod Cameron, or call him at (716) 688-8332. $10 fee ($5 members) includes 5-color park map and entry into your choice of the 4 courses. Headquarters at shelter #7.
The Sprague Brook meet is an official Team USA Olympic Day event!
Olympic Day is celebrated annually and is recognized in more than 160 countries. Commemorating the birth of the modern Olympic Games in 1894, Olympic Day’s mission is to promote fitness, well-being, culture and education, while promoting the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect.
All participants in the meet will receive a certificate from the International Olympic Committee. For more information on Olympic Day, visit http://www.teamusa.org/About-the-USOC/In-the-Community/Olympic-Day.aspx
While not yet an Olympic sport, Orienteering shares many similarities with other competitive sports. Orienteering USA is the governing body that organizes our national teams, A-meets and youth training programs. The International Orienteering Federation coordinates 70 member countries and creates standardized map and control symbols. Many nationally ranked Orienteers have competed in Buffalo Orienteering Club events over the years. Founded in 1976, we are proud to be one of the longest-serving Orienteering Clubs in the country.
- Information about a specific meet or directions can be obtained by contacting the meet director by phone or email.
For most meets, registration and beginner instruction begins at 10:00am with starts from 11:00am to Noon, unless noted otherwise below.
- All participants are required to sign a release waiver.
Participants under the age of 18 are required to have a waiver signature by a parent. If your parent is not coming to the meet, download the waiver form, sign and bring to the meet.
- For safety reasons, all participants are required to carry whistles. A limited number are available for rental at meets.
Follow the orienteering signs at the park entrance to the meet location.
- Entry fees for all BFLO meets are $5 for current BFLO members or members of any orienteering club. The fee is $10 for non-members, except as noted for special meets.
- Groups are very welcome and are charged the above fees for team leader, plus $5 for each additional individual age 11 and older. All members receive their own map if they desire one.
- Compass rental fee is $2.
- Entry fees at all events are at the members’ rates for adult-supervised groups of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
Events are held rain or shine.