- This event has passed.
Chestnut Ridge – Solo Event
May 16, 2020 @ 6:00 am - May 24, 2020 @ 8:30 pm
Long and short courses available for solo orienteering from May 16, 2020 through May 24, 2020.
Print out a short course map or a long course map starting on May 15th and complete anytime during the days that orienteering flags will be up in the park. IMPORTANT: There will be no on-site event management, so choose a course suitable for your skill and level of fitness. Downloading the map serves as agreement to a waiver in which you fully accept all risks and responsibilities for losses, costs and damages you incur as a result of your participation in this event, and that you release the Buffalo Orienteering Club, Erie County and OUSA from any liability. A copy of the waiver is posted here.
To be included in the event results:
Time yourself as you complete the course if you’d like to be included in the event results. Complete this form to enter your results. On the form you will enter your name, which course you completed, and your time. That information will be put into the final results. The form will be available from May 16, 2020 until May 24, 2020.
Park vehicles near the Newton Road entrance. The start and finish points for the courses are unmarked in the park, but are located on the maps at Shelter 21 near the Newton Road entrance.
Controls are flagged, but the flags in spots are close to the ground or situated to avoid easy detection from a trail or road. The woods are fairly open, although there are thorns in some sections.
The courses can be completed in order as marked on the maps or, if wanted, feel free to search for controls in any order. Have fun and be safe.
In light of the coronavirus pandemic, please follow all health guidelines regarding safety and social distancing while enjoying this outdoor activity. It’s a good idea to carry water, an emergency whistle, and a cell phone. Make sure others know your plan for the day. Don’t take unnecessary risks. It’s a good idea to leave a copy of the map in your car or with a friend or relative if a search is necessary.
There is no cost for this event. If you enjoy orienteering you might want to consider becoming a member of the Buffalo Orienteering Club.
- Information specific to an event can be obtained by contacting the Event Director.
- On-line registration is required for all events.
- For safety reasons, it is suggested that all participants carry a whistle.
- For forest events it is suggested that leg coverings be worn.
- Entry fees are $5 for members of any orienteering club. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10. Some special events may charge more.
- When registering for an event, members utilize a coupon code to get the member rate. At the beginning of the season this code is emailed to all members of BFLO and ROC. Members of other clubs should contact the event director for the code.
- Juniors, those from 12-20 years of age, pay the member rate.
- Children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. The coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form.
- Adult supervised groups of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts pay the member rate.
- A limited number of compasses are available to borrow with advance notice.
- Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group as you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
- Events are held rain or shine. Entry fees are not refundable.
- Some events have an instructional component. At events without formal instruction, there will be someone to provide a briefing for newcomers.
- WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.