- This event has passed.
Chestnut Ridge – Solo Event
May 16 @ 6:00 am - May 24 @ 8:30 pm
Long and short courses available for solo orienteering from May 16, 2020 through May 24, 2020.
Print out a short course map or a long course map starting on May 15th and complete anytime during the days that orienteering flags will be up in the park. IMPORTANT: There will be no on-site event management, so choose a course suitable for your skill and level of fitness. Downloading the map serves as agreement to a waiver in which you fully accept all risks and responsibilities for losses, costs and damages you incur as a result of your participation in this event, and that you release the Buffalo Orienteering Club, Erie County and OUSA from any liability. A copy of the waiver is posted here.
To be included in the event results:
Time yourself as you complete the course if you’d like to be included in the event results. Complete this form to enter your results. On the form you will enter your name, which course you completed, and your time. That information will be put into the final results. The form will be available from May 16, 2020 until May 24, 2020.
Park vehicles near the Newton Road entrance. The start and finish points for the courses are unmarked in the park, but are located on the maps at Shelter 21 near the Newton Road entrance.
Controls are flagged, but the flags in spots are close to the ground or situated to avoid easy detection from a trail or road. The woods are fairly open, although there are thorns in some sections.
The courses can be completed in order as marked on the maps or, if wanted, feel free to search for controls in any order. Have fun and be safe.
In light of the coronavirus pandemic, please follow all health guidelines regarding safety and social distancing while enjoying this outdoor activity. It’s a good idea to carry water, an emergency whistle, and a cell phone. Make sure others know your plan for the day. Don’t take unnecessary risks. It’s a good idea to leave a copy of the map in your car or with a friend or relative if a search is necessary.
There is no cost for this event. If you enjoy orienteering you might want to consider becoming a member of the Buffalo Orienteering Club.
- Information about a specific meet or directions can be obtained by contacting the meet director by phone or email.
- All participants are required to sign a release waiver.
Participants under the age of 18 are required to have a waiver signature by a parent. If your parent is not coming to the meet, download the waiver form, sign and bring to the meet.
- Follow the orienteering signs at the park entrance to the meet location.
- Entry fees for all BFLO meets are $5 for current BFLO members or members of any orienteering club. The fee is $10 for non-members, except as noted for special meets.
- Groups are very welcome and are charged the above fees for team leader, plus $5 for each additional individual age 11 and older. All members receive their own map if they desire one.
- Compass rental fee is $2.
- Entry fees at all events are at the members’ rates for adult-supervised groups of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.
Events are held rain or shine.