- This event has passed.
Course Design Workshop
April 6, 2019 @ 5:30 am - 8:30 am
This workshop is for anyone interested in learning how to design an orienteering course and/or use the Purple Pen software. See all the details below and be sure to register if you are interested. The workshop is open to club members. Information on joining the club can be found here.
10:00 – 11:15 Part One: Principles of Course Design
11:15 – 11:30 Break
11:30 – 12:45 Part Two: Using Purple Pen to Layout Courses on the Map
Participants may sign up for Part One or Part Two or both. For Part Two, they will need a laptop with Purple Pen loaded. Instructions will be provided for this.
Workshop limited to 12 participants. Register by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration deadline is Wednesday April 3 at 9 PM. For questions call 716-322-8049.
Part One: Principles of Course Design. We will examine the color coded courses adopted by OUSA and discuss the requirements and characteristics of each. We will look at courses from actual events and analyze how well they meet the criteria. Finally, we will practice drawing our own courses on club maps.
Part Two: Using Purple Pen. This software is widely used for designing courses and placing the course symbols on maps in preparation for printing. We will practice setting courses in order to get familiar with the capabilities of the software. Participants must bring their own laptops with Purple Pen already loaded. Upon registration, instructions will be sent on how to do this. The club has two laptops which may be borrowed. If you wish to borrow one of these laptops, indicate this when registering.
· Always report to the finish personnel even if you decide not to complete your course.
· Online registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for online registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
· For safety reasons, all participants should carry a whistle.
· For forest events, leg coverings should be worn.
· Entry fees are $5 for members in good standing of any orienteering club affiliated with OUSA, COF, or IOF. Juniors (up to and including age 20), who are part of a BFLO Family Membership, participate for free. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10 (Juniors $5). Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
· Non-Member children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. A coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form. Generally, children do not receive a map when participating in a group with older people.
· Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group when you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
· Events are held rain or shine.
· At online registration and event information, participants are asked to stay home if they are not feeling well or have tested positive for Covid. Participants are informed that their fees will be returned if they inform the registrar they are sick with a communicable illness before their arrival time.
· At all events someone will be available to provide a briefing for newcomers. When you register online please indicate that this is your first time attending an event by answering the appropriate question on the registration form.
· WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.
· A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.