- This event has passed.
Guided Map Hike Series Day 4
July 27, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Do you want to feel confident traveling the trails in our beautiful Western New York parks? Looking for fresh air and exercise? Want a challenge? Our Guided Map Hike Series is another way to get out there. Come out to Chestnut Ridge Park any Thursday from July 6 to July 27. Meet us at the Casino by the main parking lot. We start hiking at 6:00pm, so be prompt.
In order to go on any of these hikes, participants must purchase our 2017 Chestnut Ridge map hike map for $10. It will be available from the hike leader at the beginning of each hike. Anyone who has purchased the map earlier in the season may use the same map. The same map may be used for all of the 2017 guided map hikes, so a single purchase is necessary. This map will also be useful for individuals while hiking on their own in the park.
The guided map hikes will take place on the park trails with a certain amount of off-trail walking to locate some of the 25 map hike controls attached to trees throughout the park.
Tonight’s leader is Rebecca Wightman.
· Always report to the finish personnel even if you decide not to complete your course.
· Online registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for online registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
· For safety reasons, all participants should carry a whistle.
· For forest events, leg coverings should be worn.
· Entry fees are $5 for members in good standing of any orienteering club affiliated with OUSA, COF, or IOF. Juniors (up to and including age 20), who are part of a BFLO Family Membership, participate for free. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10 (Juniors $5). Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
· Non-Member children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. A coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form. Generally, children do not receive a map when participating in a group with older people.
· Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group when you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
· Events are held rain or shine.
· At online registration and event information, participants are asked to stay home if they are not feeling well or have tested positive for Covid. Participants are informed that their fees will be returned if they inform the registrar they are sick with a communicable illness before their arrival time.
· At all events someone will be available to provide a briefing for newcomers. When you register online please indicate that this is your first time attending an event by answering the appropriate question on the registration form.
· WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.
· A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.