- This event has passed.
Orienteering Meet: Sprague Brook Park
June 24, 2017 @ 6:30 am - 11:00 am$5 – $10
A regular Orienteering event featuring White (Beginner), Yellow (Advanced Beginner), Green (Advanced) and Red (Accomplished) courses. Register 10:30 am-11:4 5am. Starting times for all the Orienteering courses are 11:00 am-Noon.
Questions? Email the Meet Director: Rod Cameron, or call him at (716) 688-8332. $10 fee ($5 members) includes 5-color park map and entry into your choice of the 4 courses. Headquarters at shelter #7.
The Sprague Brook meet is an official Team USA Olympic Day event!
Olympic Day is celebrated annually and is recognized in more than 160 countries. Commemorating the birth of the modern Olympic Games in 1894, Olympic Day’s mission is to promote fitness, well-being, culture and education, while promoting the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect.
All participants in the meet will receive a certificate from the International Olympic Committee. For more information on Olympic Day, visit http://www.teamusa.org/About-the-USOC/In-the-Community/Olympic-Day.aspx
While not yet an Olympic sport, Orienteering shares many similarities with other competitive sports. Orienteering USA is the governing body that organizes our national teams, A-meets and youth training programs. The International Orienteering Federation coordinates 70 member countries and creates standardized map and control symbols. Many nationally ranked Orienteers have competed in Buffalo Orienteering Club events over the years. Founded in 1976, we are proud to be one of the longest-serving Orienteering Clubs in the country.
· Always report to the finish personnel even if you decide not to complete your course.
· Online registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for online registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
· For safety reasons, all participants should carry a whistle.
· For forest events, leg coverings should be worn.
· Entry fees are $5 for members in good standing of any orienteering club affiliated with OUSA, COF, or IOF. Juniors (up to and including age 20), who are part of a BFLO Family Membership, participate for free. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10 (Juniors $5). Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
· Non-Member children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. A coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form. Generally, children do not receive a map when participating in a group with older people.
· Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group when you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
· Events are held rain or shine. If a registered participant notifies the club that they are sick with a communicable illness, a refund of all fees is offered.
· At online registration and event information, participants are asked to stay home if they are not feeling well or have tested positive for Covid. Participants are informed that their fees will be returned if they inform the registrar they are sick with a communicable illness before their arrival time.
· At all events someone will be available to provide a briefing for newcomers. When you register online please indicate that this is your first time attending an event by answering the appropriate question on the registration form.
· WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.
· A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.