The 8th Annual Cherry Blossom Challenge
April 30 @ 11:00 am - 11:30 am
The 8th Annual Cherry Blossom Challenge
April 30 @ 11:00 am
Location: Adjacent to the Japanese Garden in Delaware Park along Nottingham Terrace by the Buffalo History Museum. (42.935762 -78.875276)
Join us for this casual and fun celebration of spring in conjunction with the Buffalo Cherry Blossom Festival. This event is designed for all experience levels and for walkers, runners, and family groups.
Use the map (which we provide) to navigate either a 4 kilometer (2.5 mile) or a 2.5 kilometer (1.5 mile) course which traverse the Hoyt and Mirror Lake parts of Delaware Park: The courses feature easy to locate checkpoints.
Online pre-registration is strongly encouraged and is the only way to guarantee we will have a map for you. (We will also print a few maps for “day-of” registrations.) To register, go here. The registration deadline is Thursday, April 27 at 11:00 PM. To see who is registered, click here.
All individuals and groups are welcome. Everyone who attends must be registered, sign the waiver and pay the appropriate fee. The fee to participate is $5 for members of any orienteering club or $10 for non-members. Juniors (20 and under) who are part of a BFLO family membership, participate for free, otherwise $5. Children (11 and under) participate for free but must be registered by their parent.
Check-in on April 30 is from 11:00-11:30 AM. Participants may start at any time after checking in up until 12 Noon. If this is your first time orienteering and you would like to attend a beginner’s briefing, there is a place to indicate that during the online registration process. We will contact you to make arrangements.
Please contact the Event Director (David Cady, 716-837-3737) if either of the following apply:
- You have any questions whatsoever about the event.
- Your group is larger than 4 people.
· Always report to the finish personnel even if you decide not to complete your course.
· Online registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for online registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
· For safety reasons, all participants should carry a whistle.
· For forest events, leg coverings should be worn.
· Entry fees are $5 for members in good standing of any orienteering club affiliated with OUSA, COF, or IOF. Juniors (up to and including age 20), who are part of a BFLO Family Membership, participate for free. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10 (Juniors $5). Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
· Non-Member children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. A coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form. Generally, children do not receive a map when participating in a group with older people.
· Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group when you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
· Events are held rain or shine.
· At online registration and event information, participants are asked to stay home if they are not feeling well or have tested positive for Covid. Participants are informed that their fees will be returned if they inform the registrar they are sick with a communicable illness before their arrival time.
· At all events someone will be available to provide a briefing for newcomers. When you register online please indicate that this is your first time attending an event by answering the appropriate question on the registration form.
· WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.
· A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.
· Contact the Event Director if you have any other questions about an event.