- This event has passed.
Cazenovia Park Night-O
November 12, 2022 @ 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Bring your flashlight or headlamp and join us for orienteering in the dark at Cazenovia Park. This low-key event will feature a handicap format that has all participants starting at the same time and hopefully finishing at the same time as well. (Faster orienteers will run a longer course.) The goal will be to have everyone finish in 40 minutes. When registering you will be asked to rate your physical and navigational abilities.
Online registration is required to guarantee you a map. Register here. The deadline for online registration is 11 PM Thursday, November 10. A few extra maps will be printed to accommodate last minute on site registrations. The cost to participate is $10 per person ($5 for members) and $5 for Juniors. The map scale is 1:5,000 with a contour interval of 2.5 meters.
Check-in at the event site is from 5:15 to 5:45 PM. The mass start is at 6:00 PM.
The event HQ is the lobby of the Timothy J. Burvid “Cazenovia” Ice Rink at the corner of Abbott Road and Cazenovia Street in South Buffalo. (42.848569, -78.811404) Parking is available on the street, in the ice rink lot, or behind the Tosh Collins Senior Center. Below is a map of the HQ. If you have questions, email the Event Director, David Cady.
· Always report to the finish personnel even if you decide not to complete your course.
· Online registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for online registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
· For safety reasons, all participants should carry a whistle.
· For forest events, leg coverings should be worn.
· Entry fees are $5 for members in good standing of any orienteering club affiliated with OUSA, COF, or IOF. Juniors (up to and including age 20), who are part of a BFLO Family Membership, participate for free. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10 (Juniors $5). Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
· Non-Member children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. A coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form. Generally, children do not receive a map when participating in a group with older people.
· Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group when you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
· Events are held rain or shine.
· At online registration and event information, participants are asked to stay home if they are not feeling well or have tested positive for Covid. Participants are informed that their fees will be returned if they inform the registrar they are sick with a communicable illness before their arrival time.
· At all events someone will be available to provide a briefing for newcomers. When you register online please indicate that this is your first time attending an event by answering the appropriate question on the registration form.
· WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.
· A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.