Erie County Forest (Sardinia) Score-O
October 8 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Event Format: This is a Score-O lasting 180 minutes (3 hours). Numerous controls are placed over a large area. Locate as many you desire in any order within the time limit. It is a great format for hard-core competitors who might finish in less than two hours and for casual hikers who will enjoy the extra time.
Location: Erie County Bureau of Forestry (Sardinia); start location is the Visitor’s Center, off of Genesee Road. ECBF on Google Maps
Time: Check-in starting at 10:30; course start between 11:00 and 11:30. Participants must complete the course by 2:30 PM.
Course: Single Score-O format course with 25 controls. Map scale is 1:10,000 and in 5 colors. Note that there is a significant penalty if the course is not completed within 180 minutes.
Cost: $10 fee ($5 members and juniors, 12-20 years old; no charge for children 11 years old and younger) includes 5-color park map and event entry.
Interested in becoming a member? You can do so on our membership page.
Registration: Pre-registration is strongly encouraged and will guarantee participation. Register here; the pre-registration deadline is Thursday, October 6 at 11:00 PM. Limited on-site registration will be offered, but availability cannot be guaranteed.
(Note: Each member of a group, including children 11 years and younger, must be registered and have a completed waiver. We recommend that a group leader complete the registration for all group members. Contact the event director if your group is larger than 4 people.)
- Information specific to an event can be obtained by contacting the Event Director.
- On-line pre-registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for on-line registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
- For safety reasons, it is suggested that all participants carry a whistle.
- For forest events it is suggested that leg coverings be worn.
- Entry fees are $5 for members of any orienteering club. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10. Some special events may charge more.
- When registering for an event, members utilize a coupon code to get the member rate. At the beginning of the season this code is emailed to all members of BFLO and ROC. Members of other clubs should contact the event director for the code.
- Juniors, those from 12-20 years of age, pay the member rate.
- Children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. The coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form.
- A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.
- Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group as you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
- Events are held rain or shine. Entry fees are not refundable.
- Some events have an instructional component. At events without formal instruction, there will be someone to provide a briefing for newcomers.
- WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.