- This event has passed.
The 7th Annual Cherry Blossom Challenge
May 1, 2022 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
The 7th Annual Cherry Blossom Challenge
May 1 @ 11:00 am
Delaware Park on Nottingham Terrace by the Buffalo History Museum. (42.935762 -78.875276)
We are so happy to be back in person for this casual and fun celebration of spring in conjunction with the Buffalo Cherry Blossom Festival. This event is designed for all experience levels and for walkers, runners, and family groups.
Two courses will be available which traverse the Hoyt and Mirror Lake parts of Delaware Park: a 4 kilometer (2.5 miles) “long” course, and a 3 kilometer (1.9 mile) “medium” course. Both courses feature easy to find checkpoints. The time limit will be 2 hours.
Online pre-registration is required. There will be no registration on site. To register, go here. The registration deadline is Thursday, April 28 at 11:59 PM.
All individuals and groups are welcome. The fee to participate is $5 for members of any orienteering club or $10 for non-members. Juniors, born 2002-2010, pay $5. Participants over the age of 11 pay the appropriate entry fee and receive a map.
Check-in on May 1 starts at 11:00 AM. Participants may start at any time after checking in up until 12 Noon. There will be no formal instruction at the event, but a beginner’s briefing will be held at 11:15 AM.
Please contact the Event Director (David Cady, 716-837-3737) if any of the following apply:
- You have any questions whatsoever about the event.
- Your group is larger than 4 people.
· Always report to the finish personnel even if you decide not to complete your course.
· Online registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for online registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
· For safety reasons, all participants should carry a whistle.
· For forest events, leg coverings should be worn.
· Entry fees are $5 for members in good standing of any orienteering club affiliated with OUSA, COF, or IOF. Juniors (up to and including age 20), who are part of a BFLO Family Membership, participate for free. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10 (Juniors $5). Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
· Non-Member children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. A coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form. Generally, children do not receive a map when participating in a group with older people.
· Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group when you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
· Events are held rain or shine. If a registered participant notifies the club that they are sick with a communicable illness, a refund of all fees is offered.
· At online registration and event information, participants are asked to stay home if they are not feeling well or have tested positive for Covid. Participants are informed that their fees will be returned if they inform the registrar they are sick with a communicable illness before their arrival time.
· At all events someone will be available to provide a briefing for newcomers. When you register online please indicate that this is your first time attending an event by answering the appropriate question on the registration form.
· WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.
· A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.