- This event has passed.
Chestnut Ridge Meet & Training Session
May 15 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Chestnut Ridge Park, Shelter No. 8, about 2/10 of a mile past the park casino on the east side of the park. Use the main park entrance off of Route 277 in Orchard Park.
This regular orienteering event is designed for all experience levels, and for walkers, runners, and family groups. Three courses will be available. There also will be a learn-and-practice session to learn or brush up on map and compass skills.
The three courses: a 2.9 kilometer (1.8 mile) white course for beginners, an intermediate 5.3 kilometer (3.3 miles) orange course, and a more difficult 7.1 kilometer (4.5 miles) red course. The time limit is three hours.
Online pre-registration is required. To register go here. There will be no registration on site. The registration deadline is Thursday, May 12 at 11:59 p.m.
All individuals and groups are welcome. Contact the event director if your group is larger than 4 people. The fee to participate is $5 for members of any orienteering club or $10 for non-members. Juniors, born 2002-2010, pay $5. Participants over the age of 11 pay the appropriate entry fee and receive a map.
Participants may check in at Shelter No. 8 and start at any time from 11 a.m. to noon.
Learn and practice map and compass skills (training session): Preceding the regular meet, the club will provide a Learn & Practice event. People wishing to participate in this Learn and Practice training session need to arrive at the meet location between 9:30 and 10 a.m. There they will be given a map and assigned to an instructor who will teach the basics of orienteering to a small group (6-8 people). After learning the basics, participants will accompany the instructor on a guided walk to practice the skills. When they return to the starting point, they will be able to participate in the white (beginner) course at the orienteering meet. People may do the white course on their own or with a partner. The fee that participants pay for the event will get them into the Learn & Practice for no extra charge. To register for this Learn and Practice training session online registration is required at the same link as the meet itself.
Contact Event Director Henry Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org, 716-868-3593) if you have any questions about the event or if your group is larger than 4 people.
- Information specific to an event can be obtained by contacting the Event Director.
- On-line registration is required for all events.
- For safety reasons, it is suggested that all participants carry a whistle.
- For forest events it is suggested that leg coverings be worn.
- Entry fees are $5 for members of any orienteering club. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10. Some special events may charge more.
- When registering for an event, members utilize a coupon code to get the member rate. At the beginning of the season this code is emailed to all members of BFLO and ROC. Members of other clubs should contact the event director for the code.
- Juniors, those from 12-20 years of age, pay the member rate.
- Children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. The coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form.
- Adult supervised groups of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts pay the member rate.
- A limited number of compasses are available to borrow with advance notice.
- Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group as you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
- Events are held rain or shine. Entry fees are not refundable.
- Some events have an instructional component. At events without formal instruction, there will be someone to provide a briefing for newcomers.
- WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.