- This event has passed.
Chestnut Ridge Classic 4 Courses
July 16, 2023 @ 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
July 16 @ 11:00 a.m. – noon
Chestnut Ridge Park Shelter No. 21 off Newton Road entrance to park.
This regular orienteering event is designed for all experience levels, and for walkers, runners, and groups. Four courses will be available. The courses: 2.6 kilometer (1.6 miles) “white” beginner; 3.6k (2.2 miles) “yellow” advanced beginner; 5.4k (3.3 miles) “orange” intermediate; and 6.7k (4.2 miles) “red” advanced. The time event limit is three hours.
Online pre-registration is strongly encouraged and is the only way to guarantee we will have a map for you to navigate a course. Everyone who attends must register, sign the online waiver and pay the appropriate fee. The registration deadline is 11 p.m. Thursday, July 13.
For groups, each individual in a group must register and sign a waiver. We recommend that a group leader complete the registration for all group members. Contact the event director if your group is larger than 4 people.
The fee is $5 for members of any orienteering club or $10 for non-members. Juniors 20 and under who are part of a BFLO family membership participate for free; otherwise the fee is $5. Children 11 and under participate for free but must be registered by a parent.
Participants may check in at Shelter No. 21 and start at any time from 11 a.m. to noon.
If this is your first time orienteering and you would like to attend a beginner’s briefing, there is a place to indicate that in the online registration process.
Contact the Event Director (Henry Davis, 716-868-3593 or firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions about the event or your group is larger than 4 people.
· Always report to the finish personnel even if you decide not to complete your course.
· Online registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for online registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
· For safety reasons, all participants should carry a whistle.
· For forest events, leg coverings should be worn.
· Entry fees are $5 for members in good standing of any orienteering club affiliated with OUSA, COF, or IOF. Juniors (up to and including age 20), who are part of a BFLO Family Membership, participate for free. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10 (Juniors $5). Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
· Non-Member children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. A coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form. Generally, children do not receive a map when participating in a group with older people.
· Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group when you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
· Events are held rain or shine.
· At online registration and event information, participants are asked to stay home if they are not feeling well or have tested positive for Covid. Participants are informed that their fees will be returned if they inform the registrar they are sick with a communicable illness before their arrival time.
· At all events someone will be available to provide a briefing for newcomers. When you register online please indicate that this is your first time attending an event by answering the appropriate question on the registration form.
· WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.
· A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.