- This event has passed.
Chestnut Ridge Learn and Practice
August 22, 2021 @ 9:30 am - 10:00 amFree – $5
We are offering a special Learn & Practice session at Chestnut Ridge Park on July 17, 2021. Please note: To ensure that everyone has the best learning experience possible this event will be limited and registration will close when the limit has been reached.
Procedures: When you arrive, volunteers will check your name on the list and assign you to a group for the instruction at the Learn part of the event. Instruction will begin at 10:00. After the instructor has walked his or her group around the Learn course, the participants will start the Practice part of the event as soon as they are ready. The Learn session should take about an hour and the Practice session should take about another hour. Participants can do the Practice course as individuals or in a group.
Registration and Fees: Free for club members with coupon code. Email email@example.com to request the code before registering. The cost for non-members is $5.00 per person. Online registration only here. Only pre-registered persons will be allowed to participate.
Interested in becoming a member? You can do so here.
Equipment: While participants do not need to bring anything to the event, a base-plate compass would be helpful because the club has very few to loan out. The map that includes both the Learn course and the Practice course will be handed to participants when they sign in.
Location: Shelter 23 (best accessed from the Newton Road entrance). We will have signs to guide you to the shelter.
Time: Participants should arrive at shelter 23 between 9:30 and 10:00.
· Always report to the finish personnel even if you decide not to complete your course.
· Online registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for online registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
· For safety reasons, all participants should carry a whistle.
· For forest events, leg coverings should be worn.
· Entry fees are $5 for members in good standing of any orienteering club affiliated with OUSA, COF, or IOF. Juniors (up to and including age 20), who are part of a BFLO Family Membership, participate for free. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10 (Juniors $5). Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
· Non-Member children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. A coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form. Generally, children do not receive a map when participating in a group with older people.
· Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group when you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
· Events are held rain or shine.
· At online registration and event information, participants are asked to stay home if they are not feeling well or have tested positive for Covid. Participants are informed that their fees will be returned if they inform the registrar they are sick with a communicable illness before their arrival time.
· At all events someone will be available to provide a briefing for newcomers. When you register online please indicate that this is your first time attending an event by answering the appropriate question on the registration form.
· WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.
· A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.