- This event has passed.
Chestnut Ridge Learn and Practice
July 17, 2021 @ 9:30 am - 10:00 amFree – $5
The Buffalo Orienteering Club usually holds its Learn & Practice sessions in conjunction with our meets, but that has not been possible while our meets have been solo events.
We are offering a special Learn & Practice session at Chestnut Ridge Park on July 17, 2021. This event is full and registration is closed. Please note: To ensure that everyone has the best learning experience possible this event will be limited to 50 participants.
Procedures: When you arrive, volunteers will check your name on the list and assign you to a group for the instruction at the Learn part of the event. Instruction will begin at 10:00. After the instructor has walked his or her group around the Learn course, the participants will start the Practice part of the event as soon as they are ready. The Learn session should take about an hour and the Practice session should take about another hour. Participants can do the Practice course as individuals or in a group.
Registration and Fees: Free for BFLO O club members (but you still need to register) and $5.00 per person if you are not a BFLO O-club member. Interested in becoming a member? You can do so here. Only pre-registered persons will be allowed to participate.
Equipment: While participants do not need to bring anything to the event, a base-plate compass would be helpful because the club has very few to loan out. The map that includes both the Learn course and the Practice course will be handed to participants when they sign in.
Location: Shelter 23 (best accessed from the Newton Road entrance). We will have signs to guide you to the shelter.
Time: Participants should arrive at shelter 23 between 9:30 and 10:00.
- Information specific to an event can be obtained by contacting the Event Director.
- On-line registration is required for all events.
- For safety reasons, it is suggested that all participants carry a whistle.
- For forest events it is suggested that leg coverings be worn.
- Entry fees are $5 for members of any orienteering club. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10. Some special events may charge more.
- When registering for an event, members utilize a coupon code to get the member rate. At the beginning of the season this code is emailed to all members of BFLO and ROC. Members of other clubs should contact the event director for the code.
- Juniors, those from 12-20 years of age, pay the member rate.
- Children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. The coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form.
- Adult supervised groups of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts pay the member rate.
- A limited number of compasses are available to borrow with advance notice.
- Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group as you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
- Events are held rain or shine. Entry fees are not refundable.
- Some events have an instructional component. At events without formal instruction, there will be someone to provide a briefing for newcomers.
- WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.