- This event has passed.
Erie County Forestry (Sardinia) Score-O
October 14 @ 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Event Format: This is a Score-O lasting 180 minutes (3 hours). Numerous controls are placed over a large area. Locate as many you desire in any order within the time limit. It is a great format for hard-core competitors who might finish in less than two hours and for casual hikers who will enjoy the extra time.
Location: Erie County Bureau of Forestry (Sardinia); start location is the Visitor’s Center, off of Genesee Road. ECBF on Google Maps
Time: Check-in starting at 10:30; course start between 11:00 and 11:30. Participants must complete the course by 2:30 PM.
Course: Single Score-O format course with 25 controls. Map scale is 1:10,000 and in 5 colors. Note that there is a significant penalty if the course is not completed within 180 minutes.
Cost: $10 fee ($5 members and juniors, 12-20 years old; no charge for children 11 years old and younger) includes 5-color park map and event entry.
Interested in becoming a member? You can do so on our membership page.
Registration: Pre-registration is strongly encouraged and will guarantee participation. Register here; the pre-registration deadline is Thursday, October 12 at 11:00 PM. Limited on-site registration will be offered, but availability cannot be guaranteed.
(Note: Each member of a group, including children 11 years and younger, must be registered and have a completed waiver. We recommend that a group leader complete the registration for all group members. Contact the event director if your group is larger than 4 people.)
· Always report to the finish personnel even if you decide not to complete your course.
· Online registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for online registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
· For safety reasons, all participants should carry a whistle.
· For forest events, leg coverings should be worn.
· Entry fees are $5 for members in good standing of any orienteering club affiliated with OUSA, COF, or IOF. Juniors (up to and including age 20), who are part of a BFLO Family Membership, participate for free. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10 (Juniors $5). Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
· Non-Member children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. A coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form. Generally, children do not receive a map when participating in a group with older people.
· Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group when you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
· Events are held rain or shine.
· At online registration and event information, participants are asked to stay home if they are not feeling well or have tested positive for Covid. Participants are informed that their fees will be returned if they inform the registrar they are sick with a communicable illness before their arrival time.
· At all events someone will be available to provide a briefing for newcomers. When you register online please indicate that this is your first time attending an event by answering the appropriate question on the registration form.
· WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.
· A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.