- This event has passed.
Chestnut Ridge Solo Event
May 15, 2021 @ 10:00 am - May 23, 2021 @ 4:00 pm$5.00 – $10.00
A solo orienteering event from May 15, 2021 through May 23, 2021. There are three courses available: Short with 8 controls over a 3.5km course, Intermediate with 12 controls over a 4.9km course, and Long with 17 controls over a 6.9km course. This is a Solo event with no Onsite Event Management. The controls will be up from May 15th at 10am until May 23rd at 4pm. Complete anytime during the days that orienteering flags will be up in the park.
To participate in the event there is a $10 fee for non-members or a $5.00 fee for members. Interested in becoming a member? You can do so here. Fees can be paid through registration.
1) Register Online & Pay
2) Receive Email within 24 Hours with links to all 3 course maps
3) Download & print your map or maps
4) Go Out & orienteer
5) Record your time and whether you found all the controls
6) Complete the form below to be included in the results
To be included in the event results:
Time yourself as you complete the course if you’d like to be included in the event results. Complete this online form to enter your results. On the form you will enter your name, which course you completed, and your time. That information will be put into the final results. The form will be available from May 15, 2021 until May 24, 2021.
- The start and finish points for the courses are unmarked in the park, but are located on the maps by Shelter 21 near the Newton Road entrance.
- Controls are flagged, but the flags in spots are placed close to the ground or situated to avoid easy detection from a trail or road. The woods are fairly open, although there are thorns and muddy spots in some sections.
- The courses were designed to be completed in order as marked on the maps, but, if wanted, feel free to search for controls in any order. Have fun and be safe.
- If you think a control is missing, please call Henry Davis at 716-868-3593.
- If wanted, the maps can be printed at a larger scale on more than one sheet of paper. If a scale of 1:7500 is wanted, for instance, enlarge by 33%, or a factor of 1.33. You will have to trim and tape together the separate sheets of paper.
- Please follow health guidelines regarding Covid, including wearing a mask and social distancing when appropriate. It’s a good idea to bring water to the park and a cell phone. Make sure others know your plan for the day, and don’t take unnecessary risks.
IMPORTANT: There will be no on-site event management, so choose a course suitable for your skill and level of fitness. Downloading the map serves as agreement to a waiver in which you fully accept all risks and responsibilities for losses, costs and damages you incur as a result of your participation in this event, and that you release the Buffalo Orienteering Club, Erie County and OUSA from any liability. A copy of the waiver is posted here.
- Information specific to an event can be obtained by contacting the Event Director.
- On-line pre-registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for on-line registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
- For safety reasons, it is suggested that all participants carry a whistle.
- For forest events it is suggested that leg coverings be worn.
- Entry fees are $5 for members of any orienteering club. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10. Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
- When registering for an event, members utilize a coupon code to get the member rate. At the beginning of the season this code is emailed to all members of BFLO and ROC. Members of other clubs should contact the event director for the code.
- Juniors, those from 12-20 years of age, pay the member rate.
- Children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. The coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form.
- A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.
- Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group as you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
- Events are held rain or shine. Entry fees are not refundable.
- Some events have an instructional component. At events without formal instruction, there will be someone to provide a briefing for newcomers.
- WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.