- This event has passed.
February 12, 2022 @ 11:30 am - 12:00 pm
One hour score-O. Fifteen controls located both north and south of Emery Road. Participants are allowed to use skis, snowshoes, or regular boots or shoes.
All registration will take place online. Registration is open and available here. The fee to register is $5 for Club members and $10 for non-members. The deadline for registration is Thursday 2/10/22 at 11:59 pm. There will be no day of event on-site registration.
Day of Event Procedures
Check-in starts at 11:45 to pick up map and dibbler. Check-in is planned for shelter #2 near the “fieldhouse” on north side of Emery Road. Check-in location may change depending on plowing situation at the park. Watch for signs. If weather is really challenging, check-in will be at a car in the parking lot. Participants must start between 12:00 and 12:10 using a start punch.
If you are interested in renting snowshoes for the event options are listed below. Quantities are limited and it’s recommended that individuals make arrangements in advance. Individuals can reserve snowshoes by calling the stores or, in the case of Campus Wheelworks and Gear for Adventure, use online rental systems on their websites. The going rate is $20 a day.
- Campus Wheelworks, 744 Elmwood Ave., Buffalo, 881-3613
- Gear for Adventure, 305 Buffalo St., Hamburg, 646-4327; and 3906 Maple Road, Amherst, 835-4327.
- Paths, Peaks & Paddles, 1000 Ellicott Creek Road, Tonawanda, 213-0350.
- Colden Ski & Board Shop, 8843 State Road, Colden, 941-5232.
No food, water, or snacks provided. Results online only (perhaps live online). Observe social distancing at all times, especially when checking in, lining up for start, and downloading. Masks required when indoors; e.g., when using rest room.
· Always report to the finish personnel even if you decide not to complete your course.
· Online registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for online registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
· For safety reasons, all participants should carry a whistle.
· For forest events, leg coverings should be worn.
· Entry fees are $5 for members in good standing of any orienteering club affiliated with OUSA, COF, or IOF. Juniors (up to and including age 20), who are part of a BFLO Family Membership, participate for free. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10 (Juniors $5). Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
· Non-Member children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. A coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form. Generally, children do not receive a map when participating in a group with older people.
· Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group when you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
· Events are held rain or shine.
· At online registration and event information, participants are asked to stay home if they are not feeling well or have tested positive for Covid. Participants are informed that their fees will be returned if they inform the registrar they are sick with a communicable illness before their arrival time.
· At all events someone will be available to provide a briefing for newcomers. When you register online please indicate that this is your first time attending an event by answering the appropriate question on the registration form.
· WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.
· A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.
· Contact the Event Director if you have any other questions about an event.