- This event has passed.
Sardinia Forest Solo Score-O Event
October 2, 2021 @ 10:00 am - October 10, 2021 @ 4:00 pm
To participate in the course there is a $10 fee for non-members or a $5.00 fee for members. Interested in becoming a member? You can do so here. Fees can be paid through registration.
1) Register Online & Pay – Register here.
2) You will receive an email with links to the course map.
3) Download & print your map or maps.
4) Go out & orienteer.
5) Record your time and your point total.
6) Complete the form below to be included in the results.
To be included in the event results:
You have three hours to find as many controls as possible and return to the start location, earning the indicated point value for each control you find. Please keep track of both your point total and your time if you plan to submit your results to the Club. Have fun and be safe! Complete this online form to enter your results. On the form you will enter your name, your score, and your time. That information will be put into the final results.
Park vehicles at the Visitor’s Center, off of Genesee Road, at the start location indicated on the map. Note that start and finish points are unmarked in the park; simply begin at the Visitor’s Center parking lot. Note that the full map consists of two pages, so be sure to download and print both pages. Page one shows the section of the park to the south of Genesee Road and page two shows the section north of Genesee, as well as the control descriptions.
Controls are flagged, but the flags may be located close to the ground or situated to avoid easy detection from a trail or road. Each flag is tagged with the number indicated on the map; the number in parenthesis is the point value for that control.
In light of the continuing coronavirus pandemic, please follow all health guidelines regarding safety and social distancing while enjoying this outdoor activity. It is a good idea to carry water, an emergency whistle, and a cell phone. Make sure others know your plan for the day and don’t take unnecessary risks. It is also a good idea to leave a copy of the map in your car or with a friend or relative, in case you find yourself requiring assistance.
· Always report to the finish personnel even if you decide not to complete your course.
· Online registration is strongly suggested for all events and is the only way to guarantee that a map will be available for you. The deadline for online registration is generally the Thursday night before a weekend event. A limited number of maps will be available for registration on the day of the event.
· For safety reasons, all participants should carry a whistle.
· For forest events, leg coverings should be worn.
· Entry fees are $5 for members in good standing of any orienteering club affiliated with OUSA, COF, or IOF. Juniors (up to and including age 20), who are part of a BFLO Family Membership, participate for free. Non-members are always welcome and pay $10 (Juniors $5). Some special events may charge more, such as the Ellicottville Adventure Run.
· Non-Member children, from 0-11 years of age, do not have to pay a fee but they must be registered and their waiver must be signed by a parent. A coupon code to eliminate the fee will be noted in the online registration form. Generally, children do not receive a map when participating in a group with older people.
· Groups are welcome. A “group” is defined as 2 or more people who start together, stay together, finish together, and receive one score. Indicate you are participating in a group when you register. It is recommended that groups not exceed 4 people. If your group has more than 4 people in it, please contact the Event Director before registering. All members of a group must register and pay the appropriate fee.
· Events are held rain or shine. If a registered participant notifies the club that they are sick with a communicable illness, a refund of all fees is offered.
· At online registration and event information, participants are asked to stay home if they are not feeling well or have tested positive for Covid. Participants are informed that their fees will be returned if they inform the registrar they are sick with a communicable illness before their arrival time.
· At all events someone will be available to provide a briefing for newcomers. When you register online please indicate that this is your first time attending an event by answering the appropriate question on the registration form.
· WAIVER POLICY: All participants must sign a waiver as a part of the online registration process. Parents must sign for their minor children.
· A limited number of compasses are available to borrow.